My least favorite quote is..."The reward of the TEACHER is in HEAVEN". Not that it is a bad quote but because "my people" have taken it to literally mean that teachers have to wait till they meet their creator before they recieve the reward they deserve. For me, Teaching is the greatest profession, it is the profession that creates other professions, it is a calling!... and as such I strongly believe that everyone called to this great profession deserves the honor and reward for what they do, TODAY!.
So, imagine my joy when I came across "The Global Teacher Prize", a $1 million (USD) award presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession. I was like... WHAAAAAAAATT!!!!
"The prize serves to underline the importance of educators and the fact that, throughout the world, their efforts deserve to be recognised and celebrated. It seeks to acknowledge the impacts of the very best teachers – not only on their students but on the communities around them."
- excerpt from http://www.globalteacherprize.org
I quickly went to the 'Winners' page to see all past winners and nominees. I checked from 2015 to 2017 and did not find one single Nigerian teacher. I know this is not because Nigerian teachers are not outstanding enough to win this prize but for the fact that; to win, you have to be nominated and to be nominated, you have to at least have all the relevant information on how to Apply... This is the reason for this Article, Let's put a Nigerian Teacher on this list of World Changers. Nominate any outstanding teachers who deserve to be recognized, TODAY!
The winners will be chosen by the "Global Teacher Prize Academy" who will be looking for...
- Achievement of demonstrable student LEARNING outcomes;
- The employment of INNOVATIVE, EFFECTIVE and SCALABLE instructional practices;
- Recognition of a teacher’s achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, parents and communities;
- The support of children to become global citizens;
- Achievement in the community beyond the classroom; and
- The encouragement of teachers to stay in the profession and develop their skills, as well as encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
More information about the Prize, including past winners, can be found below: (click to view)
- The Global Teacher Prize Official Website
- The Global Teacher Prize 2 sided leaflet
- The Global Teacher Prize 4 sided leaflet
- The Global Teacher Prize 2017 Poster